2012 Baseball Odds: Houston Astros at San Diego Padres
Thursday, July 19, 2012
The Houston Astros have to like their chances of salvaging a split of their four-game series at San Diego Padres, given the way right-hander Lucas Harrell pitched when he faced the Padres three weeks ago. Then again, these haven't been those same punchless Padres. San Diego has scored seven or more runs in four of six games since the All-Star break, including an 8-2 win Tuesday and an 8-4 victory Thursday.
The Astros, who have lost 15 of 17, hope Harrell can cool San Diego's bats and duplicate the success he had against the Padres on June 27 in Houston, when he tossed a six-hitter for his first career shutout. Yonder Alonso, who had two doubles and three RBIs on Wednesday, had two of the six hits against Harrell last month, and Logan Forsythe also contributed two hits.
Harrell struggled with his command in his first start since the All-Star break, walking four batters Saturday at San Francisco, but he managed to hold the Giants to one run over five innings and didn't get a decision. Harrell will face the Padres for just the second time.
Volquez had strung together three straight quality starts before control problems plagued him Saturday at Los Angeles. He walked four and allowed four runs over five innings against the Dodgers but didn't get a decision. Volquez is 5-0 with a 2.53 ERA in seven starts against Houston.
1. Padres leadoff man Alexi Amarista is 10-for-26 (.385) during his seven-game hitting streak, two games shy of his career high set earlier this season.
2. The Astros are 2-49 when trailing after six innings.
3. Eight Houston players have faced Volquez, but only Chris Johnson (3-for-7) has a hit against the right-hander.
Recent Trends on Houston::
- HOU are 19-68 in their last 87 road games.
- HOU are 16-36 in their last 52 overall.
- HOU are 16-36 in their last 52 games on grass.
Recent Trends on San Diego::
- SD are 7-2 in their last 9 games following a win.
- Under is 8-2 in Volquezs last 10 home starts.
Head to Head :
- HOU are 3-7 in the last 10 meetings.
- Over is 9-4 in the last 13 meetings.
USA Sports Betting Lines MLB Prediction: San Diego -153
More Prediction at Las Vegas Sports Pick
- Baseball Las Vegas Odds: Cincinnati Reds at San Diego Padres
- MLB Sports Betting Odds: Pittsburgh Pirates at San Diego Padres
- Las Vegas Odds: Houston Astros at San Diego Padres
- Baseball Las Vegas Odds: Houston Astros at San Diego Padres
- Las Vegas MLB Baseball Odds: Cincinnati Reds visit San Diego Padres