Friday Nov 17th NCAA Football Picks: North Carolina vs Virginia Tech
Thursday, November 17, 2011
by Frank Martin
No. 8 Virginia Tech Hokies controls its own destiny in its pursuit of the ACC championship and the BCS Bowl berth that comes with the trophy. The Hokies made it through one test with a win at Georgia Tech last week and are currently one game ahead of rival Virginia in the ACC Coastal Division.
With a visit to the Cavaliers on tap for next weekend, Virginia Tech must first sneak past a dangerous North Carolina team. The North Carolina Tar Heels looked like they had a chance to make some noise in the ACC until running into a rough patch over the last month with losses in three of their last four games.
North Carolina was shut out for the first time in five years on Nov. 5 but has had a bye week to prepare for the Virginia Tech offense. Hokies coach Frank Beamer will be looking for his 250th career win when the Tar Heels visits Blacksburg, Va., on Thursday.
North Carolina Tar Heels (6-4): The Tar Heels expect to have quarterback Bryn Renner healthy on Saturday after the sophomore was knocked out of the 13-0 loss at North Carolina State with a concussion. Renner was coming off his first career 300-yard passing performance in a win over Wake Forest when he ran into trouble against the Wolfpack. North Carolina managed only three rushing yards against NC State and is 72nd in the FBS in rushing average at 144.8 yards.
Virginia Tech Hokies (9-1): The Hokies are aiming for a berth in their fourth ACC Championship game in the last five years. Beamer's offense is running in high gear lately, going over 400 total yards in five straight, and is coming off a strong performance in a 37-26 victory over Georgia Tech. Sophomore quarterback Logan Thomas passed for three touchdowns and rushed for two more - the second time this season he has totaled five scores in a game.
1. The Hokies are 25-2 in November games since 2004.
2. The last time the schools met on a Thursday in Blacksburg, the Tar Heels came away with a 20-17 victory in 2009.
3. Renner’s father, Bill, was a punter for Virginia Tech.
NCAA FOOTBALL PREDICTION: Hokies 24, Tar Heels 14. Thomas will prove to be too much for the North Carolina defense.
- NCAA Football Score: Virginia Tech 24 and North Carolina 21
- NCAA Football ACC Title Odds: North Carolina vs Virginia Tech
- Week 8 NCAA Picks: Boston College Eagles vs Virginia Tech Hokies
- NCAA Football Picks: Arkansas State Red Wolves vs Virginia Tech Hokies
- Las Vegas NCAA College Football Picks: Virginia Tech at Miami