July 17 Free MLB Picks: Texas Rangers vs Oakland Athletics
Tuesday, July 17, 2012
The Oakland Athletics hope to carry the momentum from their three-game sweep in Minnesota into their brief two-game home series against the American League West-leading Texas Rangers, which begins Tuesday. Oakland turned on the power at Target Field over the weekend, hitting a total of nine home runs during the series - including four in each of the final two contests. Yoenis Cespedes, Chris Carter, Seth Smith and Jonny Gomes belted two apiece against the Twins as the Athletics climbed within one-half game of the second AL wild-card spot.
Despite creeping into the playoff race by virtue of posting nine victories in its last 10 contests, Oakland still sits eight games behind Texas in the division. The Rangers, who took three of four from Oakland at home from June 28-July 1, have recovered nicely from a five-game losing streak, capturing four of their last five. Texas likely will be without catcher Yorvit Torrealba, whose wife is about to give birth, but could have its bullpen bolstered as relievers Alexi Ogando (groin) and Koji Uehara (lat muscle) are slated to be activated from the disabled list.
Oswalt rebounded from two bad outings July 8 against Minnesota - allowing one run and five hits over 5 2/3 innings - but settled for a no-decision. In his previous two starts, the 34-year-old surrendered a total of 16 runs and 26 hits over just 10 2/3 frames. Making just his fifth start of the season, Oswalt is 0-1 while yielding seven earned runs over 11 2/3 innings in two career meetings with the Athletics.
Colon has pitched well since returning from a strained right oblique, allowing a total of two earned runs over 14 2/3 innings in two starts but coming away without a decision each time. The former American League Cy Young Award winner limited Seattle to one run and seven hits in 8 2/3 innings on July 8, striking out five without a walk. Colon has kept Texas in check during his career, going 18-6 with a 3.61 ERA in 28 starts. He tossed eight scoreless innings in a victory over the Rangers on June 6.
1. The division rivals have split the first 10 meetings of the season.
2. Oakland enters with an AL-leading 3.38 ERA, while Texas is tops in batting average and runs scored.
3. Rangers slugger Josh Hamilton went 1-for-10 with one RBI in his team's weekend series at Seattle. Conversely, Cespedes was 8-for-14 with two homers and six RBIs during Oakland's sweep in Minnesota.
Recent Trends on Texas: :
- Under is 7-1 in TEX last 8 overall.
- Under is 7-1 in TEX last 8 on grass.
- TEX are 21-8 in their last 29 Tue. games.
Recent Trends on Oakland: :
- OAK are 7-1 in their last 8 games following a win.
- Under is 6-2 in OAK last 8 Tue. games.
- OAK are 20-8 in their last 28 overall.
Head to Head :
- Over is 10-3 in the last 13 meetings in Oakland.
- TEX are 17-7 in the last 24 meetings.
USA Sports Betting Lines MLB Prediction: Oakland +105
More Prediction at Las Vegas Sports Pick
- Las Vegas MLB Baseball Odds: Texas Rangers vs Oakland Athletics
- MLB Sports Betting Odds: Texas Rangers visit Oakland Athletics
- Prediction on MLB Games: Minnesota Twins vs Oakland Athletics
- Las Vegas MLB Baseball Odds: Minnesota Twins vs Oakland Athletics
- MLB Sports Gambling: Oakland Athletics host San Diego Padres