Las Vegas MLB Prediction: Boston Red Sox vs Tampa Bay Rays
Sunday, July 15, 2012
The Boston Red Sox keep getting players back ... and keep losing more. Clay Buchholz returned on Saturday but Adrian Gonzalez was held out with back spasms and is doubtful for Sunday’s series finale against the Tampa Bay Rays. The Red Sox might not need the extra pop on Sunday, when they go up against struggling starter James Shields. The Rays will be looking to post their second straight home series win.
Jacoby Ellsbury is back but Carl Crawford and Dustin Pedroia are not expected to return until next week for the Red Sox, who are waiting until they are at full strength to accurately assess the team before the trade deadline. Tampa Bay is closer to playoff contention than Boston, sitting one-half game out of the second wild card spot in the American League. Somehow the Rays continue to hang on despite Evan Longoria being out of the lineup and most of the offense and defense struggling.
Beckett has not earned a win since May 20 and was knocked around for six runs and eight hits in five innings against the New York Yankees his last time out. The right-hander has not yielded a home run in any of his last eight starts and has allowed two runs or less five times in that span. He did not factor in the decision against the Rays on May 26 despite surrendering only two runs in seven innings. Beckett is 10-4 with a 2.82 ERA in 21 career starts against Tampa Bay.
Shields has been pounded for 41 hits and 17 earned runs in 26 2/3 innings over his last four starts. The veteran right-hander has allowed four earned runs or more in eight of his last 11 turns. Shields had his best start of the season at Boston on April 16, when he surrendered four hits in 8 1/3 scoreless innings to pick up a win. He is 8-12 with a 4.34 ERA in 22 career starts against the Red Sox.
1. Crawford went 2-for-4 in a rehab game at Triple-A Pawtucket on Saturday and is expected to join the team on Monday for the start of a four-game series against the Chicago White Sox.
2. The top three hitters in Tampa Bay’s lineup are a combined 2-for-23 with nine strikeouts in the series.
3. Rays RF Matt Joyce (oblique) will play for Class A Charlotte on a rehab assignment starting Sunday.
Recent Trends on Boston: :
- Under is 13-3 in BOS last 16 road games.
- BOS are 2-7 in their last 9 overall.
- BOS are 2-7 in their last 9 games on grass.
Recent Trends on Tampa Bay: :
- TB are 23-7 in their last 30 Sun. games.
- Under is 95-46-8 in TB last 149 home games.
- TB are 12-4 in Shields' last 16 home starts.
Head to Head :
- Under is 6-2 in the last 8 meetings.
USA Sports Betting Lines MLB Prediction: Tampa -115
More Prediction at Las Vegas Sports Pick
- Saturday July 14 Prediction: Boston Red Sox vs Tampa Bay Rays
- September 11th MLB Odds: Boston Red Sox vs Tampa Bay Rays
- MLB Baseball Preview & Trends: Tampa Bay Rays at Boston Red Sox
- MLB Baseball Betting: Boston Red Sox at Tampa Bay Rays
- MLB Matchup Odds: Red Sox' Clay Buchholz vs Rays' David Price