MLB Baseball Picks: Detroit Tigers vs Baltimore Orioles
Sunday, July 15, 2012
The Baltimore Orioles’ clubhouse was buzzing after Saturday’s 8-6 win over Detroit in 13 innings, but the euphoric victory couldn’t hide the concern about starting pitcher Jason Hammel. One of the biggest surprises in the majors, Hammel said he’ll likely need surgery on his right knee that could keep him out until September. Hammel, who is 8-6 with a 3.54 ERA, had been dealing with soreness for the past two months. He left Friday’s start in the fourth inning and had an MRI on Saturday, which showed the loose cartilage in his knee.
The Detroit Tigers’ six-game winning streak ended Saturday, but they’re starting to show why they were favored by many to win the American League pennant. Detroit isn’t scrambling to find starting pitching like the Orioles, but the team will call upon Jacob Turner to start in place of the injured Drew Smyly on Tuesday against the Los Angeles Angels. Smyly was placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to July 7, with an intercostal strain. Miguel Cabrera had three more hits Saturday, and he’s is batting .362 (85-for-235) with 12 home runs and 50 RBI over his last 58 games.
Verlander, who allowed five earned runs in the first inning at Tuesday’s All-Star Game, pitched a complete game against Minnesota in his last start before the break. Nick Markakis is 7-for-30 (.233) with 10 strikeouts against Verlander, who has fanned 128 batters over 132 2/3 innings.
Gonzalez allowed one run with six strikeouts over seven innings against the Angels on July 6 in his first major league start. The 28-year-old Gonzalez will likely remain in the rotation with another solid outing, especially since the Orioles are desperate for reliable starters. He has an 18-to-7 strikeout-to-walk ratio in four appearances covering 18 2/3 innings.
1. Baltimore has won 10 straight extra-inning games after losing its first two this season.
2. Tigers CF Austin Jackson went 0-for-6 on Saturday, ending his hitting streak at 16 games.
3. Orioles SS J.J. Hardy broke an 0-for-28 skid with a solo homer in the 13th inning on Saturday.
Recent Trends on Detroit: :
- Under is 7-2 in DET last 9 games following a loss.
- DET are 39-13 in their last 52 Sun. games.
- Under is 20-7 in DET last 27 Sun. games.
Recent Trends on Baltimore: :
- Over is 5-1-2 in BAL last 8 home games.
- BAL are 2-6 in their last 8 home games.
Head to Head :
- DET are 8-1 in Verlanders last 9 starts vs. BAL.
USA Sports Betting Lines MLB Prediction: Detroit -175
More Prediction at Las Vegas Sports Pick
- MLB Las Vegas Odds and Lines: Detroit Tigers vs Baltimore Orioles
- MLB Matchup and Trends: Pittsburgh Pirates at Detroit Tigers
- Baseball Predictions and Odds: Detroit Tigers at Baltimore Orioles
- April 12th Baseball Odds: Tampa Bay Rays vs Detroit Tigers
- Baseball Predictions & Odds: Chicago White Sox vs Detroit Tigers