MLB Baseball Predictions: Arizona Diamondbacks vs Colorado Rockies
Saturday, April 14, 2012
by Mike Stewart
The Colorado Rockies seemed on the way to their fifth loss in six games Friday before the old face of the organization took matters into his own hands. Colorado can thank Todd Helton for the momentum it will carry into Saturday’s game against the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Helton produced the game-tying two-run single in the fourth and the tiebreaking RBI double in the eighth as the Rockies avoided losing for the third time in four home games against San Francisco and Arizona.
Arizona right-hander Josh Collmenter will try to snap out of an early sophomore slump. Collmenter had a promising rookie season (10-10 with a 3.38 ERA), but struggled in spring training and in his first start of 2012. Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson remains confident in Collmenter, while pitching coach Charles Nagy said he might have been a little too excited to make his first start of the season.
Collmenter had a 9.95 ERA and allowed 27 in 19 innings with a 1.74 WHIP during spring training and yielded six runs (five earned) in three innings against San Francisco on Sunday. Collmenter went 2-1 against the Rockies with a 2.84 ERA in his rookie season, including 0-1, 2.53 in two starts at Coors Field. Gonzalez is 4-for-8 with a homer while Tulowitzki is 2-for-9 against Collmenter.
Chachin allowed four runs and four hits in four innings in a 7-0 loss to San Francisco on Monday. He is 3-2 with 2.82 ERA in seven games against Arizona lifetime and the roster is hitting only .178 against him. Chris Young, who is off to a hot start in 2012 with a .320 average, three home runs and seven RBIs, is 3-for-16 against Chacin.
1. Helton moved into a tie for 94th with Pete Rose and Graig Nettles on the all-time RBI list with 1,314.
2. The Rockies have made nine errors in seven games, including a dropped fly ball by each starting outfielder - Gonzalez, Dexter Fowler and Michael Cuddyer.
3. Collmenter was fifth in National League Rookie of the Year voting.
MLB BASEBALL PREDICTION: Colorado 7, Arizona 3
- MLB Predictions and Picks: Arizona Diamondbacks vs Colorado Rockies
- MLB Predictions and Picks: Colorado Rockies at Arizona Diamondbacks
- MLB Baseball Las Vegas Prediction: San Diego Padres at Colorado Rockies
- Place a Bet on MLB Baseball: Colorado Rockies at Los Angeles Dodgers
- MLB Sports Betting Odds: Colorado Rockies vs Arizona Diamondbacks