MLB Baskeball Predictions: Chicago Cubs vs St Louis Cardinals
Friday, April 13, 2012
by Mike Stewart
The rival Cubs are 2-5, on their way to another losing season.
St. Louis used Chicago on its way to sneaking into the playoffs last season, grabbing two walk-offs wins in the last week of the season to keep it in contention. The Cubs dropped 10 of 15 overall to the Cardinals in 2011. The Cardinals will be playing their home opener on Friday but Chicago is coming into the series with some momentum after snapping a three-game slide and picking up an 8-0 win behind a strong performance from Matt Garza on Thursday. Plus, much-maligned outfielder Alfonso Soriano is off to a decent start at the plate.
Samardzija won a rotation spot in spring training and did not disappoint in his debut, allowing three runs - one earned - in 8 2/3 innings while striking out eight and not issuing a walk. The lanky right-hander has made 13 appearances - two starts - against St. Louis in his career, posting a 6.04 ERA while walking 20 in 22 1/3 total innings.
Wainwright is making his way back from Tommy John surgery and was a tad shy of his ace form in his season debut, allowing three runs in 5 2/3 innings at Milwaukee. The 30-year old went 2-1 with a 3.00 ERA against Chicago in 2010. He has held Soriano to 5-for-28 (.179) in his career.
1. Cardinals 1B Lance Berkman (calf) missed Wednesday’s game and is questionable for Friday.
2. St. Louis will hold its ring ceremony and raise the World Series banner prior to the game.
3. The Cubs are enduring a stretch of 13 of 16 games against NL Central opponents.
MLB BASEBALL PREDICTION: St Louis 5, Cubs 3
- MLB Baseball Free Picks: St Louis Cardinals vs Chicago Cubs
- MLB Baseball Picks & Tips: Cincinnati Reds vs St Louis Cardinals
- MLB Baseball Picks & Tips: Chicago Cubs vs St Louis Cardinals
- MLB Vegas Lines: Chicago Cubs vs St Louis Cardinals and Jaime Garcia
- MLB Betting Tips and Trends: San Diego Padres at St Louis Cardinals